Saturday, December 10, 2005

RIP .... RP

"Both verbally potent and physically eloquent" ... words used to describe Richard Pryor. Known for his work as an actor, writer and stand-up comic, he scored a total of 3 Grammy Awards in the '70s and 80s. Two for his concert albums, "Bicentennial Nigger" and "That Nigger's Crazy." He also won in 1973 for writing a Lily Tomlin television special (she was the one ringy dingy operator on Laugh In).

One of the biggest stories made up about Richard was that he set himself on fire while freebasing cocaine. In an autobiography he wrote in 1995, Richard stated that "after freebasing several days in a row, I wasn't able to discern one day from the next. Imagining relief was nearby, I reached for the cognac bottle on the table in front of me and poured it all over me. Real natural. Methodical. I picked up my lighter and I was engulfed in flame. I was in a place that wasn't heaven or earth. I must've gone into shock because I didn't feel anything."

8 Comments:

At Sat Dec 10, 08:55:00 PM MST, Blogger RealityMistaken said...

May he rest in peace.

BTW, interesting blog.

 
At Sat Dec 10, 09:02:00 PM MST, Blogger ABFreedom said...

He was a funny guy way back when.... never heard he died.... thanks .

 
At Sat Dec 10, 09:34:00 PM MST, Blogger Aizlynne said...

Thanks for stopping by Reality.

 
At Sat Dec 10, 09:40:00 PM MST, Blogger Gayle said...

Yes, Pryor was a comedic genius. It's sad that his personal life was tragic in many ways. I hope he rests in peace also.

 
At Sat Dec 10, 09:49:00 PM MST, Blogger Justthinkin said...

He offended many, but that happens when you take PCness and put it in the crapper where it belongs. may he rest in peace.

 
At Sun Dec 11, 12:31:00 AM MST, Blogger bob said...

Dittos. The man was funny!
Aiz, I need some assistance. E-mail me.

 
At Sun Dec 11, 08:51:00 AM MST, Blogger Aizlynne said...

Email sent Bob.

I agree with all of you... he was crude and crass at times, but if you found the humour in it you could look beyond that ... same goes for George Carlin ... a genius - with a dirty mind!

 
At Sun Dec 11, 07:40:00 PM MST, Blogger Les Mackenzie said...

Crude is sometimes a good thing... (I would avoid my blog for a while...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" - Sir Winston Churchill.

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter