Monday, September 26, 2005

Crazy Cannuck Does Protest Duty

Richard at Cannuckistan Chronicles and I spent part of a sunny Saturday afternoon counter protesting an Anti-American gathering of about 50, disguised as a "love-in" and Iraq anti-war protest.

It was a last minute idea for me to join, and I thought Richard could use some moral support. Trust me, he really didn't need any help from me at all!

Share our day with us:


Richard made sure he came fully equipped with lot's of posters (which was a good thing since I certainly wasn't prepared, which I should have been). Richard was kind enough to lend me one of his, which I planned on using as a shield against protesters, if necessary.


To our surprise, and delight, we met Merle, a loner supporter for the troops and freedom. Merle attracted quite a bit of the attention, including some Che Guarvez fans, and one Chinese lady who ironically couldn't appreciate or understand freedom.

While we peacefully marched on the sidewalk about 20 feet away, several of the protesters tried to start arguments with Merle, Richard and I (check out my turkey protester). At least with me, they found out pretty quickly that it was hard to argue with someone who was friendly and interested in hearing what they had to say, even if I disagreed. You can't change their minds if you don't know how they think.

So here were a few protestors that I chatted with:

The man on the left side of the sign introduced himself to Richard. He said he reads Richard's blog and that he had left Richard some rather nasty messages. He apologized and they shook hands. Now THAT's they way to do it! You also gotta give this lady and her son credit, the quilt was very beautiful and you could tell that it took her a long time to make it. Now there's someone who cares about her country.. you gotta respect that, even if you are on different sides of the political fence.


Then there's some folks you just won't ever convince. Like my turkey friend here. I thought I almost had him until he said that he truly believes Dick Cheney's evil plan is to overthrow all the oil countries and seek world domination through Halliburton. Gosh... I don't even give politicians that much credit for intelligence. Besides the fact that he's like on his 8 of 9 lives. But, that being said, our protester said it took him about 13 hours to make the poster.. and I believe him!

All in all it was a great experience and one I would certainly do over again. So anytime you need help Richard just let me know! And I'll make sure I bring my own poster next time! lol.




22 Comments:

At Mon Sep 26, 03:24:00 PM MDT, Blogger ABFreedom said...

Looks crowded, must be a bazillion people there. .. that Calgary place sure is anti-American ... ;-)

 
At Mon Sep 26, 03:40:00 PM MDT, Blogger Aizlynne said...

Well considering they had 50 and had months to plan, and Richard only had 1 day and got 3 .. that's not bad odds really.

 
At Mon Sep 26, 04:14:00 PM MDT, Blogger Mike said...

Way to go Aizlynne! Those are great pictures. Nothing like crashing a leftist protest for fun! :)

 
At Mon Sep 26, 04:15:00 PM MDT, Blogger Dr. Dawg said...

Che Guarvez? Not the Che Guarvez, shurely?

 
At Mon Sep 26, 04:49:00 PM MDT, Blogger Paul said...

You guys are better Americans than most Americans. Thank you for taking the time to do that and with such a great attitude. They're probably still talking about you three.

 
At Mon Sep 26, 05:35:00 PM MDT, Blogger Justthinkin said...

Good job Aiz....now where do we all sign up for the anti-Martin protest??

 
At Mon Sep 26, 07:11:00 PM MDT, Blogger Candace said...

ooh anti-Martin protests - those could be fun!

 
At Mon Sep 26, 07:19:00 PM MDT, Blogger Richard said...

Great post Aiz. Thanks again for comming along. :)

 
At Mon Sep 26, 07:33:00 PM MDT, Blogger Debris Trail said...

Thanks Aiz... I'm realy and truly sitting here with this sick smug grin on my face. Isn't it wonderful how one little hotpepper can spoil the bread batter.

The pics are great, and you obviously did this with a great attitude... no shouting, screaming, name-calling, jesturing. If you ever need some of that, give me a call!

And the hippie's smell thing is just too funny.

 
At Mon Sep 26, 07:38:00 PM MDT, Blogger darcey said...

Goddamn that looked like a riot! Where in the world was this?

 
At Mon Sep 26, 09:56:00 PM MDT, Blogger ABFreedom said...

Next one, hopefully will all know in advance so we can crash the party, could be fun .. LOL

 
At Tue Sep 27, 10:32:00 AM MDT, Blogger Sycorax said...

That would be great ABF... Aiz... where were you? I was downtown all weekend (something I tend not to do a whole hell of a lot) And didn't see or hear anything. I would have joined in the fun, had I known it was happening. As my dad used to say... "A bad day of leftie bashin', is better than a good day at work" LOL

 
At Tue Sep 27, 10:35:00 AM MDT, Blogger Sycorax said...

Darcey...damn dude... I dunno how much more I can stand lookin' at a naked skiers arse....

 
At Wed Sep 28, 05:27:00 AM MDT, Blogger TonyGuitar said...

Yup, the shots are excellent, but it's time to come home and demonstrate in Ottawa at the parliament buildings with placards that read:

No Secrecy Blanket!
Stop the Stealth!
Don't Kill Information Act!
Lifetime Oath, No!
Muzzle 6,000, Why!
Stop Info Lockdown!

And I could do six more for Whistle-Blower Bill C-11, but it's late.

There is a page of snippets from the James Blogworld thesis/book up now:

http://Anchorpin.Redpin.com

From how to increase your own blog traffic to how to get commercial and make money, this is such an excellent work! Free and up to the minute Aug/05.

James has had 78,480 hits and 2,072 downloads. no wonder! It's excellent. 73s TG

 
At Wed Sep 28, 05:29:00 AM MDT, Blogger TonyGuitar said...

PS... What body part is a Sycorax?
'3s TG

 
At Wed Sep 28, 06:46:00 AM MDT, Blogger Sycorax said...

tonyguitar... If you google Sycorax, you'll find out that Sycorax is a character in Shakespeare's The Tempest. (Actually, AFTER I chose the name, I found out that Sycorax's character was a witch,{no problem there}and also the mother of Caliban{ok...so wrong sex here}.But, it is also a moon of Uranus. Having the fasination with space science that I have, I chose that name. I hope that answers your question for you. ;)

 
At Wed Sep 28, 10:22:00 AM MDT, Blogger DirtCrashr said...

Good work! The 13-hour signmaker needs to study up on time-management skills - or change his hair color from blond.

 
At Wed Sep 28, 11:57:00 AM MDT, Blogger TonyGuitar said...

That's great. I had no idea, but when I wonder about something, sometimes a smart-ass question helps.

It's good of you to take me lightly. And it sure is a unique handle.

I see where the 7 Billion dollar Mackinzie Valley Pipeline has overcome a key issues where four or five aboriginal communities, including the influential Deh Cho, are now willing to bend.

Lucky you eh? You need lots of jobs and labour to spend that much money.

That came in on;
http://www.Canada.com

News this morning. Financial Post headline: Mckenzie Pipeline gets push
by Jon Harding. 73s TG

 
At Wed Sep 28, 04:16:00 PM MDT, Blogger Aizlynne said...

Wow... I wasn't expecting such feedback ... I'm blushing ... really ... lol.

It was great fun. And to ease Dawg's anxiety, no one beat up the Che Guarvez fans. Maybe next time you can join their revolution!

 
At Wed Sep 28, 04:48:00 PM MDT, Blogger Sycorax said...

well I was thinking that you might be makin' a smart-ass comment about... "moon.... Uranus".... "circling... Kling-on's"... etc.. LOL!

 
At Wed Sep 28, 09:06:00 PM MDT, Blogger KnightofGoodMrIronMan said...

I can vote! Classic.

Well done Good people.

p.s Meryl lookes INTENSE!

 
At Thu Sep 29, 07:27:00 AM MDT, Blogger Richard said...

question: Who took the pic of the 3 of us together?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" - Sir Winston Churchill.

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter