Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Bertuzzi Ban Ends

I have pretty mixed feelings actually about whether this guy should be allowed back into hockey, and be rewarded for it by playing for Team Canada in the Olympics.

In my mind, he got off pretty lightly considering that this wasn't the first time he had been reprimanded for being a goon. I don't have any problems with some roughness, but bashing someone's head into the ice is going too far. Whether he knows it (and even cares) he is a role model for young men and boys who fantasize about one day becoming the next hockey hero. The example he set, and the NHL's mediocre punishment and response are not something they should be proud of.

One the other hand, he did receive his fines and bench time. The remainder of it will be played out in civil court. Time served should allow him the chance to get back on the ice and give him the opportunity to change his game play.

Although I am not sure I will watch alot of hockey this season since I really didn't miss it much last year.

So what say you about Bert's ban ending? Are you for it or against it and why?

5 Comments:

At Tue Aug 09, 09:43:00 AM MDT, Blogger Lex Luthor said...

I'm a big believer that the punishment should match the crime. If you injure a player and he's on the mend for 6 weeks, you get suspended for six weeks. In Bertuzzi's case, he should be out until Steve Thomas is back... and if Thomas is out permenantly, so is Bertuzzi.

Then again, I also think the spinal injury was due to the 3 Avalanche players that doggie-piled on top of Bertuzzi who was on top of Thomas.

 
At Tue Aug 09, 09:49:00 AM MDT, Blogger Paul said...

I'm not a hockey fan nor am I Canadian but I'm for his return.
The reason is that he's met the League's proscribed punishment. It's the punishment I think is wrong. I think all Major Sports have long abandoned any obligation to young people and it's that which needs fixing.
What I like about Hockey and Football and why I watch football is that there is little disrespect or violence shown towards it's referees or officials as there is in Baseball, which I see as teaching children it is okay to laugh, gesture, voice obscenities and physically contact and intimidate it's umpires.
But in all sports, such violence by the players toward each other is tolerated or hand slapped enough to show youth that it is not only tolerated but encouraged with a seeming wink, because the sports feel that is what fans want.
And if it is, he should return and play. If not, the rules need changed. It only takes a couple of examples before the players learn the new rules.
Most of the players would welcome it, they could play the sport they love.

 
At Tue Aug 09, 11:03:00 AM MDT, Blogger Lex Luthor said...

my error..... Its Steve Moore, not Steve Thomas.

 
At Tue Aug 09, 02:13:00 PM MDT, Blogger Candace said...

I haven't followed hockey for years and have no real interest in picking it back up as a spectator sport. Bertuzzi and his ilk have done little for the game other than turn it into WWF on ice.

I agree with Lex - Bertuzzi should get to play when his victim returns. And the guys that dogpiled should have also been penalized (they may have been, but I wasn't following the story).

I was at the Coliseum when Gretzky signed his first contract (after finally turning 18), I saw some spectacular games in the late 70s and 80s, and was in Calgary when the Flames won the Cup for the first time.

The game seems to have gone downhill since then. However, a second cousin was on the Flames' farm team last year and was in camp for them this summer, so I may have to watch the odd game for family's sake ;-)

 
At Wed Aug 10, 09:12:00 PM MDT, Blogger sheila said...

This is a real outrage - he should be banned as long as Steve Moore is unable to play. I don't watch alot of sports, and play even fewer, but when you deliberatly attack a guy you should be held accountable. Missing a season when everyone missed the season misses the point. He went after Steve Moore with the intent to injure so he should be gone as long as Steve Moore is gone. If that means he ended Steve Moore's career then he effectively ended his own. That would be fair, but more importantly it would stop the deliberate violence in sports.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" - Sir Winston Churchill.

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter