Sunday, July 10, 2005

Chuck Cadman

I read in the paper this morning that Chuck Cadman died yesterday. My condolences go out to his family.

Partisan politics aside, Mr. Cadman represented his constituents admirably, considering his health condition. Although I believe his approval of the budget was the result of interference run by Irwin Cotler, who persuaded Cadman to vote yes in exchange for tougher changes to the juvie laws, his intentions, I think, were honourable.

I mean, after all, it wasn't like the Tories didn't stab him in the back during the last election in order to get a "preferred" candidate running under the Tory banner. What's good for the goose is good for the gander!

If the Tories want to be honourable, my suggestion is that they change their tactics so gentlemen of character, such as Mr. Cadman, remain in their party.

God's speed Mr. Cadman. RIP.

3 Comments:

At Mon Jul 11, 03:29:00 AM MDT, Blogger Candace said...

I would argue the "stabbed in the back" thing. The CPC policy is that no seat is "guaranteed" i.e. a sitting MP, if challenged, faces a nomination race. (This may be a hold-over from the Reform party? I guess it's the equivalent of "recall" maybe?)

What happened in Chuck's case (and others) is a 'ringer' got a bunch of friends & family & then some to sign up & vote him in as the candidate. A similar situation occurred in my riding this year (Laurie Hawn's), but he was not an elected MP, so ... not sure if the overall policy has change re: elected MPs.

They may have changed this policy (given the "star" candidates in set ridings that were announced in May, the media guy coming to mind).

They approached Chuck to rejoin once elected as an independent, and he declined (can't say as I blame him, after all).

I would also argue your take on Cotter coercing/convincing him/whatever you want to call it. I thought that at the time, but my first thought upon hearing of his death was that I wasn't aware his cancer was that advanced. I suspect it was a combination of his lack of personal (physical) strength to run a campaign, combined with the honey of getting his bills (his reason for entering politics, and his tribute to his son) a serious reading.

Do you know whether they actually passed?

If not, watch the CPC have to fight for them (as they represent CPC positions) rather than the fairweather Libs. ("Hey, he's dead, so can't help us out anymore by voting with us.")

I hope that, as he looked back upon his life, he found this particular bargain palatable.

 
At Mon Jul 11, 02:47:00 PM MDT, Blogger Aizlynne said...

I get where you are coming from Candace. Certainly something I hadn't fully considered.

I know they voted him in again because of at least the appearance of the CPC turning their back on him.

I am sure we can both agree that we lost probably one of the only honest politicians we had as a sitting MP.

Cheers -- hope you had a good vacation.

 
At Sun Jul 17, 12:49:00 PM MDT, Anonymous thots said...

re:I am sure we can both agree that we lost probably one of the only honest politicians we had as a sitting MP.

Hey now! Cadman was good - but how about Monte, he seems pretty "honest".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" - Sir Winston Churchill.

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter